
Central African Republic authorities have ordered the closure of an artisanal gold mine near the border with Cameroon after a collapse killed at least 49 people, Reuters reported.
Mines Minister Rufin Benam Beltoungou said the government would formally suspend mining activity at the site in Zamboye until further notice following Tuesday’s collapse.
Beltoungou said the confirmed fatalities included 35 Central African Republic nationals, 12 Cameroonians and two Chadians, highlighting the cross-border nature of informal mining activity in the area.
The official death toll remained uncertain, however. A senior official from a local mining association said on Wednesday that more than 100 people had been killed in the collapse.
A prosecutor said rescue operations were continuing and authorities were still working to determine the number of casualties.
According to Reuters, the disaster underscores the persistent safety risks surrounding artisanal and informal mining across Africa.
The sector provides employment and income to large numbers of people, particularly in areas where formal economic opportunities are scarce.
Many informal mining operations, however, function with limited regulatory oversight and inadequate safety measures. Sites can also lack the equipment and emergency-response capacity needed when tunnels or pits collapse, contributing to recurring fatal accidents across the continent.
Neighbouring Cameroon has sought to formalise parts of its artisanal mining industry as authorities attempt to strengthen regulation, improve worker safety and increase government tax revenues from the sector.









